Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Tao of Ava

Last Saturday was a Daddy Daughter day. Late in the afternoon we found ourselves playing a game. My daughter (Ava) would stand up holding on to the rails of her cot, and then let go, allowing herself to tumble onto her little bed with an excited shreek. One of those exclusive baby noises layered with excited laughter and measured fear. She did this over and over and over again until she appeared to perfect - right there in front of me - the art of the controlled toddler fall (bum first, back straight, arms out). 
  
Then the game stopped as suddenly as it had begun, and it was time for a nap. 

I didn't realize it at the time, but during that magical afternoon, my 9 month-old daughter was reminding me of one life's most important lessons: the more we let go in life, and learn to both enjoy and learn from the falls along the way, the better we become at being alive. 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment